Friday 1 May 2015

April Reading Wrap Up

The month of April seemed to disappear so quickly for me, however I have still managed to stick to my reading schedule, and this month I have read a total of eight books.
These are...
My total number of pages I read this month is 3632, which equates to just over 121 pages per day!!

This month, I've tried to vary the books that I read, so I've definitely stepped out of my comfort zone with a couple of these! This has resulted in me disliking a few more books that usual, but I have read some really good novels!

I have already reviewed Faerie Tale, by Raymond E. Feist, which you can read by clicking here.

I absolutely adored the Throne of Glass Series, by Sarah J. Maas, and my review for the first three books in this series will be posted very soon, so be sure to keep an eye out for it!

*****

I picked up Gone Girl on the off chance that I'd enjoy it. I wasn't all that hopeful at first, to be honest. I had already managed to spoil the majority of the plot for myself by reading too many other reviews for it, so I already knew what the basic story line would contain. Also, I've never really been a huge fan of mystery books as there don't really tend to be many in the YA genre, which is what I usually stick to. However, on the odd occasion, I pick up a mystery novel that really grips my attention and I thoroughly enjoy. Gone Girl was one of these books. 
When Nick Dunne's wife, Amy, disappears without a trace, the police immediately suspect Nick as Amy's killer. However, Nick had no part in this disappearance... 
So what did happen to his lovely wife?

I feel like revealing my thoughts on this book would really spoil the book, but I'm going to talk about them anyway, so if you don't want to know what happened to Amy, please just skip this paragraph!!
I thought the start of this book did drag on a little and I didn't find myself liking either 'Diary Amy' or Nick. However, as soon as the real Amy started narrating, things really picked up. While she is such a creepy character, I couldn't help but admire her determination and brains! Yes, she might be little psychopathic, but that girl was so clever at times!
I personally thought that it was a little strange at how quickly Nick assumed that Amy was behind her own disappearance and was framing him, but I think the story might have dragged on too much if it had taken him any longer. I also thought it seemed a little rushed at the part where Amy was robbed of all of her money, but obviously the author needed something to happen to her to make her dependant on somebody else.
My only other complaint centres around the ending. I wanted a more significant event to occur (i.e. Amy gets found out, Nick runs away, or somebody gets killed!), since the ending seemed a little anti-
climactic. However, it was a realistic ending to the story... A creepily realistic ending.
It was almost as if it was based on true events (which scares me so much!!)...
I'd recommend this book to fans of a good mystery who, unlike me, don't get creeped out easily!


The Night Circus is a book that I've wanted to read for quite a long time now. It immediately jumped out at me because of Erin Morgenstern's amazing name - I suspect that she's really a Shadowhunter!!!
The book centres around a magical Circus that arrives at a destination with no warning. The gates open at nightfall and shut at dawn, and the acts are unlike those from any other circus around.
I had heard a lot of great things regarding this book, so I thought I'd give it a go.
Unfortunately, it wasn't for me. I really enjoyed the writing in The Night Circus; it was really pretty and was full of detail, which I like, and the overall concept was really interesting. However, I found the plot to be a little jumbled at times. It seemed that there were quite a few stories tied into one big story, and the order in which they were positioned in the book made it a little confusing.
It was a unique concept, which I liked the idea of, but I personally don't feel that it was pulled off very well. However, I have read many reviews for The Night Circus by people who really enjoyed the book, so while it wasn't completely for me, it wasn't a bad book and you may still really enjoy it!


Overall, while there were a few books I didn't like all that much, I have really enjoyed the books I read in April! 
Since I'm beginning to feel slightly summery at the moment, my TBR list for May is full of fluttery romances (however some of Gayle Forman's books are on the list, so I don't know how happy these romances will actually be!!). 

I hope everyone else had a productive month of reading! 
I'll hopefully be reviewing some new books soon, but until then, goodbye!

Charlotte xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment