Sunday 14 June 2015

Mockingjay- Part 2 Trailer Thoughts...

Last Tuesday, the brand new teaser trailer for The Hunger Games: Mockingjay- Part 2 was released and, as can be expected, I am more than excited! I am a little late with posting this review as it has taken so long for me to calm down and compose my thoughts, but better late than never!!
After hearing on Monday that the trailer was set to be released on Tuesday, I had been sitting at my laptop refreshing the screen EVERY 30 SECONDS - I'm not crazy, I promise! - waiting for it to be released!!! After just a few hours of me frantically searching, I was rewarded with being one of the very first people to see the trailer following its release onto YouTube!

If you have not yet seen the trailer, I seriously suggest you follow the link below before you read any further because you're missing out on so much!!
Link to the trailer!!!


If you don't already know, I am completely and utterly crazy about The Hunger Games series. I have read each of the books at least 12 times now and have seen the films way more times than I would like to admit! I have been counting down for Mockingjay Part 2 for nearly 1000 days now (I know- I can't believe it either!) and with only 159 days to go, I can't believe how close it really is, especially when it feels like the trailer for Catching Fire was released only months ago!!
Each of the films was absolutely incredible and became my favourite films for each year they were released. While Catching Fire will probably always be my favourite of the films, Mockingjay Part 1 completely blew me away and I loved every bit of it - well, maybe except the super traumatic ending!! Since Part 1 was just so amazing (you can read my review for it by clicking here!), I have insanely high expectations for Part 2.

The teaser trailer did not let me down!

*Spoilers for Mockingjay Part 2 Trailer*

The trailer began with Finnick and Annie's wedding, which I must say, I was not expecting.  I had a suspicion that this part would be left out of the film, so I was over the moon when I saw this! While it wasn't exactly how I had pictured the event, it did seem really faithful to the book, and I especially loved the scene where Katniss dances with Prim later on in the trailer.

I loved seeing Effie in the trailer! At first, I had to do a double take because she looks so different to herself in Part 1, but she does look back to her normal self, which is great! I was so happy that they let Effie appear more in the Mockingjay films, since she's only in the end of the book. I think she adds an amazing touch of humour to what would otherwise be an insanely dark and depressing film, and I love her character so much!

Watching Peeta, even in the tiny scene he had in the trailer, nearly broke my heart into two. I found it so hard to read about him in this book, and I still have to cover my eyes during his scene in Part 1 (You know the one I mean!) because it upsets me too much! I'm almost dreading seeing him in this film because I know I won't be able to hold it together! That being said, it was so nice for him to make an appearance - even a small one - in this trailer so that we can see that he's on the road to recovery!

Is this the all-important shooting scene at the end?

The battle scenes in the Capitol looked so cool and really well done. I really hope that the film doesn't depend too much on CGI to bring the ratings up (ahem, Insurgent!), but from the looks of this trailer, the film will revolve more around the story than fight scenes and special effects.



Some scenes in the trailer really gave me the chills...
In particular was the scene with President Snow, which *SPOILERS* looks to be in his gardens when Katniss goes to find him after the battles. His line of 'Make no mistake, the game isn't over' really freaked me out! I thought Donald Sutherland was perfect for the role of President Snow and has played it so well so far! I really, really hope he is just as good in this last instalment and I can't wait to see how the end is played out with him. I hope it's just as good, if not better, than the book!
Finnick's last line of the trailer, which is actually Katniss' line in the book, was a really powerful ending line and I'm so glad it was included as it is one of my favourite quotes from the book in terms of what it stands for.

Also, on the subject of Finnick...

*MAJOR SPOILERS FOR MOCKINGJAY!!!*
In the book, we know that Finnick is said goodbye to thanks to a pack of mutts (sniff sniff!!), however, Suzanne Collins has said that she regrets writing this, and there have been many rumours going around that Finnick will actually survive. In the trailer, when Katniss is running through the streets of the Capitol away from the oil spillage, Finnick can be seen in the background. Most of the scenes in the Capitol take place after Finnick leaves us (sniff sniff!!), so the fact that he can be seen in this part has made a lot of people question his fate. I am in two minds about my feelings towards this. On one hand, I love Finnick - he's one of my absolute favourite characters ever and I was distraught after what happened to him! But on the other hand and at the end of the day, this is a book to film adaptation and I think they have really got to stick to the book's plot! Does anybody else agree?
After careful viewing, there's a chance that the scene with Finnick could just be the testing simulation scene where soldiers are trailed before they're assigned a Squad, which Finnick doesn't appear in in the book, but it might explain this scene. We'll just have to wait and see...

If there was one thing this trailer is missing, I think it's Johanna. I'm pretty sure she didn't appear at all in the trailer, and since she had such a big role in the book, I'm quite worried that they're going to cut some of her scenes out. I feel like Johanna is a really important character in this book, both for Katniss' recovery and to show exactly how much damage was done by President Snow. I really hope she does make more of an appearance in the full film, but I doubt she'll get a huge part.


I really cannot wait for this film. I am so excited and am really, really looking forward to seeing how the whole thing turns out. But at the same time, I am dreading the whole event.
For the last few years, all I seem to have been doing is counting down for the next instalment or avidly searching for new stills, trailers, or just information! But not only am I not looking forward to that part of my life disappearing, I don't feel ready for this series to come to a close.
I was so glad when it was decided that Mockingjay would be split into two parts, because that gave us more content and longer to wait until the whole series ended. But now, at only 159 days away until the end, I am almost dreading it being over!!
However, I feel certain that the film will be absolutely amazing, if not perfect. I am confident that everything is going to be handled really well and at the end of it all, a great film will be produced and Mockingjay Part 2 will live on as one of the greatest films of all time.

On that note, goodbye!

Charlotte xxx

2 comments:

  1. OMG I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!! I have seen the trailer and I fangirled sooooo hard. I really hope Finnick stayes alive!!!

    awkward-overload.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I can't wait to see it!!!!!!!!! I have seen the trailer and I fangirled sooooo hard. I really hope Finnick stayes alive!!!

    awkward-overload.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete