Tuesday 28 June 2016

A Court of Mist and Fury | Book Review



Even though we're not even half-way into the year, I have a very good feeling that A Court of Mist and Fury may well end up being my favourite book of the year...

A Court of Mist and Fury, by Sarah J. Maas
Published: May 2016, by Bloomsbury
Length: 624 pages
Genre: Fantasy, YA

My Rating: 5 STARS!!!

After the stunning events of A Court of Thorns and Roses, the highest rated young-adult fantasy novel of 2015, Feyre, our fearless heroine, is coming to terms with her sudden and unwanted transformation from a young human who just wanted to protect her family, into an immortal Fae. After rescuing Tamlin, her lover and the ruler of the Spring Court, from the rasp of the wicked Fae Queen, Amarantha, Feyre finds herself haunted by the ghosts and memories of the deeds she was forced to carry out in order to save Tamlin’s people.
At the same time, Feyre is also forced to accept the consequences of the deed she made with Rhysand, the feared ruler of the Night Court. But in the midst of everything, war is looming and an evil greater than any wicked queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre holds dear to her. She must learn to confront her past, embrace her gifts and decide her fate…
But what other secrets are being kept from her?



After reading the first book in this series last year, I had been waiting for what seemed to be a massive amount of time for this highly anticipated sequel. But I can assure you that it was definitely worth the wait and lived up to (and even surpassed) every expectation I had held for this book.
There aren’t many books from which I re-emerge completely satisfied with all of the events that occurred in the story, but this book will go down in history as being one of the few that left me feeling ecstatic. 
Words cannot describe how excited I felt before, during, and after reading this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough.


The level of character development within this novel was phenomenal. Nobody could have foresaw the twists and turns each different character took and I found it particularly interesting to finally discover what motives each character had for doing what they did in the previous book.
I absolutely loved how much character development Feyre went through over the course of this novel. She seemed to grow stronger with every page, which was both enjoyable and motivating to read, especially considering how much trauma she was put through and how she previously reacted to this.
I also loved the character development for Tamlin and Rhysand. I can’t truly say I was ever a massive fan of Tamlin in regard to him being a partner for Feyre, which caused me to enjoy A Court of Thorns and Roses slightly less than I would have liked to, however, all was revealed in A Court of Mist and Fury which was why I adored this instalment to the series far more than the last. Moreover, I liked Tamlin more as a character after his true identity is revealed, which also made A Court of Mist and Fury a lot more entertaining.
A great deal of information was revealed about our other main character, Rhysand, allowing the reader to relate more to him and sympathise with his situation more. For these reasons, Rhys slowly became one of my favourite characters in the whole series. 
I also loved revisiting the minor characters from the previous book, like Elain and Nesta and Lucien (am I the only one who absolutely adores Lucien?!) as well as meeting so many new characters with their own interesting back-stories!


If you've read any one of Sarah J. Maas' books, you'll understand just how gripping and exciting her writing is, and there was no exception in this book. I'm constantly amazed at how she manages to go from writing gory battle scenes straight into steamy romantic scenes, and then add in a comedic reunion just to top it off, all the while maintaining her incredibly gripping quality of writing. The way Sarah J. Maas builds worlds and creates characters is just incredible. 


I would easily recommend A Court of Mist and Fury, and its predecessor, A Court of Thorns and Roses, to everyone. While its strong, gory violence, bad language and themes of a sexual nature would not be suitable for younger readers, I would recommend anyone over the age of 15 to pick these books up.
Personally, I wouldn't define this as a Young Adult series, like Throne of Glass, just because of how much 'mature' content is in the series; I think I would view this series in the 'New Adult' genre. 
But apart from that, I think everybody should give these books a go, particularly if you're a fan of fantasy, since A Court of Mist and Fury was absolutely exceptional.


I cannot wait until the finale of this trilogy is released. Sarah has not yet published a series conclusion before, so I'm really excited to see how she'll pull it off. However, if it turns out anything like A Court of Mist and Fury did, we're in for one hell of a book! May 2017 can't come soon enough; I need this book in my hands NOW! Oh, and if it's not too much to ask, I would really, really, really like everybody to come out of this series alive!! Please...?

So, who else is excited for the next instalment to this series? I'd love to hear your thoughts!!

That's all for now but I hope to be back very soon!
Until then,

Charlotte xxx



Twitter       |       Subscribe       |       Bloglovin'


No comments:

Post a Comment